Sunday, 1 December 2013

Finding Alice

For Health in school this term we covered the Circle of Courage and for our final project I wrote a short stories for each of  the four quadrants. This is my story on belonging.

Finding Alice

I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock. The sound drills through my skull until I can take it no longer. I slam my fist down and then sigh at the peaceful sound of quiet. Another day of school, another day of the popular girls making my day a living hell, another day of therapy, but also a day where he will come and save me.
Life at Hillsdale High School for mentally unstable teenagers is anything but normal. There are thirteen year olds that throw fits, sixteen year olds that cry uncontrollably, everyone here has a different problem, and then there is me. I am normal, I must be. There is no way I should be in a place for crazy people. What I saw was real, yet no one believes me.  When I was thirteen I fell down a hole in the ground. I was playing hide and seek with my friends in the park when it all happened. At first the hole was only big enough to fit a rabbit, but then it grew. It grew so large that it sucked me up and I fell into another world.(This is usually the time when people start to understand why I am in a place for unstable teens.) Along my journey I met a little white rabbit. this rabbit didn’t talk, but used hand gestures to talk, and for some reason had a fob watch attached to his fur, and was always indicating that I was late.  I followed this rabbit to a man’s house. This man lived in a hat (yeah an actual hat) and drank tea all day long. He was as mad as some of the people at my school and forgot what he was saying every ten minutes. The Mad Hatter I called him. Along the way I met a grinning cat, a caterpillar that smokes, a queen with a real addiction to the colour red, a pair of twins with serious issues,  and came close to losing my life every single day. It may sound like a nightmare, but it was the one place I really felt like I belong.
“good morning Alice” Mr. Grover says to me as I walk into my first class of the day.
“Hello Mr. Grover, how are you today” I saw politely just like my teachers tell me to do.
“I am well, how has your therapy been going?”
“Very well, they say I may be able to leave soon once I forget Wonderland.”
“Well I hope you do. Maybe you will be able to carry on with your life once you forget.”
“ I hope so too.” I give a quick smile then run off into my classroom. There is no way I am going to forget. I just have to do what I have been doing since I first came here, lie. I sit down in my desk and take out my pencil and notebook and start to draw. They say drawing is a good way to get out what you are feeling. I don’t draw what I am feeling though because I know my therapists look at this, and if they see anything related to wonderland I will be denied my right to leave. I don’t belong here, I belong in wonderland. Wonderland is where my friends are, where the adventure is, where my life is.
The bell rings signaling class is over and I start to head outside, when I see a white blur outside. He’s here, right on time. I quickly run outside, my eyes darting around the school grounds trying to pinpoint his location. I scan the area near the side of the school that backs into a forest and I catch a glimpse of him jumping down a hole. I start into a sprint and race for the trees. I cannot be late because  he hates it when I am late. I finally reach the hole and look down into it. The hole was only big enough to fit a rabbit, well that was until it began to grow. Once the hole was finally big enough for me to fit through I jump. Everything goes black and I cannot see a thing. Suddenly I could see again. I was lying on a black and white tile floor, and was surrounded by doors. Standing right by the smallest door was the rabbit.
You’re late, yet again. Great Rabbit is making hand gestures again.
“ It’s nice to know you haven’t changed a bit Rabbit.” I saw a bit too sarcastically.
Here is where you make your decision, you can either go back to your normal world or you can stay in Wonderland forever. You will be saying goodbye to everyone you love if you decide to come with me. Choose your door Alice.
The rabbit points at two doors. One has overgrown vines tangled all over it and the other is...wait, its exactly the same. How does he want me to make my decision if both doors are the same?! “Rabbit stop messing with me give me the real doors to pick from!”
I am not messing with you Alice, these are the real doors. They may look the same but the door to the world you truly belong in will show itself to you in one way or another. Look harder Alice.
I study the first door noticing nothing unusual about it, I turn to the second door and examine it as well. I can’t find anything. I am starting to get frustrated when right in the left hand corner is a tiny blue caterpillar making smoke rings with his pipe! The red Queen is there, looking as red as ever, and whats that beside her? For some reason I want to call it a Jabberwocky.
“Rabbit I pick this door.” With that I reach out my hand grab the door knob and twist it. I push the door open and I walk into Wonderland. I know now that not only do I belong in Wonderland, but Wonderland belongs with me. While I was away Wonderland was in turmoil, everything was dying and the red queen had so much power. Now that I am here though things will change. As soon as I stepped through that door things began to grow again, and I knew how to defeat the queen for good this time. I belong in wonderland, where do you belong?

From the Original Ideas of Lewis Carroll
Written by Grace Franks