Sunday, 1 December 2013

Download

For Health in school this term we covered the Circle of Courage and for our final project I wrote a short stories for each of  the four quadrants. This is my story on Independence.


Download

The year is 2187, the government rules and we follow the them like sheep. I am Rebelletrix Dux and I am sixteen years old. I live in Imperium, a city run by the government and we have no independence. In fairytales I have read about times where people had the right to vote and to decide what to do with their lives, the government doesn’t determine everyone’s every move. That is what I want, but instead we have Imperium. When you come of age the army comes to your home and shoves you into a white truck. From there they take you to some secret location no one is meant to know about and...well I don’t know what happens next, but I will soon. My coming of age celebration is tomorrow and the truck will come for the day after next. Most people are scared, anxious, worried etc. I however, am excited. This is where my plan finally comes into action. I have no mother or father like people do in the fairytales, I live with a Robot controlled to look after me. Everyone in Imperium does, because the oldest anyone ever gets in Imperium is sixteen then they are taken away. I don’t know where all the adults are, maybe they are still alive, living in a different city, maybe they don’t even know about us. Maybe they already have kids and we are just the rejects. Wherever they are, I am going to find them.
I just finished my shift at Impers fish shop when a white truck pulls up in front of me. This can’t be right they are meant to come for me in two days, not now! Two Robots open the door and try to grab me. No way are they going to take me away, not without a fight. just as they are about to grab me I shove out my foot and kick them down. I then jump on top of the first one and smash his face in. sparks fly out from broken wires and the robot starts to malfunction. I only have a few seconds before it blows up. I quickly dive towards the truck and hide behind it. BOOM! The robot explodes destroying the other Robot with it. This is my chance I only have a five minute gap before reinforcements come. I run over to the Robot that has taken less damage and insert a flash drive I stole from the school library that has been hidden in my shoe, into a slot in his head. Immediately the flash drive starts downloading all the information from the robots brain. If you think that I didn’t just suddenly decided to attack, but  have been practicing for this moment for years, well then you’re right. Ever since I was old enough to walk Genitrix, my Robot, has taught me all I needed to know about Imperium. Genitrix malfunctioned when I was just born. She started to develop emotions and with all of the information in her head about what Imperium was doing and how wrong it was she decided to fight back. Of course one Robot can’t go up against a city by itself, but Genitrix knew  that a human could. Genitrix has trained me in all areas, whether it is hacking a computer or killing a human, I am ready.
Download complete please remove flash drive. As soon as I removed it I saw another truck turn round the corner. This time I wont fight, I got what I came for so now I just need to pretend to be a good little citizen like everyone else in this godforsaken city. Genitrix would have been proud of me. The laws of Imperium say that if your Robot malfunctions they are to be disabled and incinerated. Genetrix was good at hiding her glitches but one day while she was out buying groceries for my fifteenth birthday party she glitched. It was so sudden that she could not hide it. One of the Robots walking past saw her and reported it to the authorities. She was disabled the very next day. The night of my fifteenth birthday Genitrix was meant to tell me everything she knew about Imperium, even where the adults are and what they are doing. I guess now the only way I will know where the adults are is by finding them myself.
I get into the truck willfully this time and the Robot driving me kept on talking about how bad it was of me to disable those other Robots. Blah Blah Blah, does it look like I care? We pull up to a grey building and I am forced out of the truck and shoved through the doors of the building. You know I think these Robots forgot to download their manners today. I am given an  ID tag, a new set of clothes, and an ankle tracker that tracks your every movement and will send out electric shocks that will kill you if you step one foot outside. Well that is until I disable just like Imperium disabled Genitrix. While I am standing there getting my ankle tracker set up five other kids come through the door. One boy is clearly not happy and starts attacking the Robots. This is my opportunity to get away without anyone noticing. With all the commotion I easily slipped around the corner without catching anyones attention. I look down at my tracker and realise that it wasn’t fastened on properly. Thank the gods that I didn’t have to disable it, because although I could easily do it, it would waste precious time and I don’t know how long this fight will last.
I race down hallways turning left and right where I need to, if you’re wondering how I know where I am going it’s not some fancy thing like I hijacked a Robot and downloaded the map of the building into my phone. I just stole a plain old paper map from an office. When I finally reach the main computer room I quietly sneak into it just incase there is a Robot in here. Oh great, there is. It turns round and  stares at me. I run towards it and take the Robot out with one punch to the head. This Robot is only  technician and is not downloaded with combat skills. I push it out of the seat and install the flash drive into the computer. Once everything from the flash drive is on the computer I send everything to every electrical device in the city. Since this is 2187 and everyone has at least fifty electrical devices in their home everyone will see these. As the information goes on it gets to the part about the adults. It turns out they don’t live in a different city, they don’t have different kids and don’t know a thing about us, we aren’t the rejects, and they aren’t alive. Well not in the way people should live. When you become of age, you become a Robot. I should have known. there is no way a robot should be able to work as well as they do without a very large storage system. Do you know what they use for the storage system? They use the human brain.
Once I sent out the information everyone who saw it went crazy. Everyone rebelled setting fire to the buildings and destroying every single Robot they see. After a few months of this Imperium crumbled and the whole Robot system collapsed. We were free. We found the independence we were looking for. Instead of being run by the government and being controlled by wires and downloads we became independent and lived as our human selves. I found independence from the Robots where will you find yours?

Written By Grace Franks